Thursday, August 03, 2006

ask crafty response: velcro & reflective tape, ribbons, tins, clear bags, jewellery/silversmith classes

x Please tell me where I can find coloured Velcro – bright or soft (vs. dark) colours would be best. And reflective/safety fabric as well. –Jen

-You should be able to find coloured velcro at Designer Fabrics in Parkdale. I've seen it on the first floor, near the ribbon section. They are located at 1360 Queen st W between Dufferin and Lansdowne.
http://www.designerfabrics.ca/
-you can buy reflective tape and velcro at fabricland downstairs at the hudson bay centre on bloor.


x I am looking for aubergine ribbons that I would like to use for mywedding bonbonnieres ... any idea where I can get some in Toronto?other than the overpriced Mokuba?

-The best ribbon I get are at the rapidly dwindling old-school fabric stores on Queen West. You know you're in one if it's run by a grumpy old man. :-) They have tons of vintage dead stock from the 60's-70's.***


x I was wondering if you knew anywhere in toronto that I can buy small tins, [ much like the altoids tins ] I've only ever seen them online.- Amanda

-I think I have seen those tins at Solutions at Yonge and Eglinton. They also have a location at Dufferin Mall. However, if you need lots of tins, online might be a cheaper bet. Good luck!
http://www.solutions-stores.ca/
-you might find it at a place that is similar to "solutions" in the beaches on queen st. east. i'm afraid i can't think of the name right now but it's right beside the store "ends" on the north side of the street. [The store is called "Binz"]
-Although these aren't the same shape as Altoid tins, you could try the watchmaker's cases at Lee Valley Tools: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=44948&cat=1,43326


x I am on the look out for clear plastic bags that reseal and fold over for my greeting cards. The bags need to measure approx. 6 X 4 3/8 inches. If any one could help me on that account I would be sooo greatful! –
Kim

-Try Clear Bags for their packaging with adhesive seal (they have a free print catalog, too): http://www.clearbags.ca/ [Kim found what she was looking for at this company]
-There's a packaging store called creative bag, and they have the tins, in various shapes and sizes. At least, they did when I was last there. http://www.creativebag.com/
-The Retail Bag Store on Adelaide near Spadina sells lots of cello type packaging and I think they have the kind with the adhesive on one end for greeting cards.


x Does anyone know of any places that offer beginner jewellery/silversmith classes? –Stephanie


-i know i've seen a place on college across the street from from red peagasus. (someone here might know the name of the studio). last time i was down that way they had some nice pieces in the display window that had been created by their students, i think. i think "george brown college" has intro courses too. maybe take a look online to see if they offer them in the summer or you may have to wait until sept. if all else fails, ask at "made you look" on queen west in parkdale. without a doubt someone there will be able to help put you in touch with a someone.
-i happen to offer Beginning Jewellery/silversmithing classes out of my studio (nanopod) located at 322 harbord street. you can check out what students have been creating here: http://www.nanopod.tv/studentwork06.html and view my list of upcoming classes offered here: http://www.nanopod.tv/nano_classes.html
should you have any further questions with regards to my classes please feel free to give me a ring (647 219 0585) or drop me an email: info@nanopod.tv or drop by the studio!
-For beginner jewellery classes you could try The Devil's Workshop on Queen West. I just took a class there and it was really fun!
-I've also heard that the classes at the Harbourfront Centre are great for beginner silversmith/jewelry.


***TCA note: Rachel’s question didn’t get much play – I pasted in a response from a
previous ask crafty – any more ribbon tips would be much appreciated.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For beginner jewellery classes and silversmithing, there's also the Devil's workshop and the place across from Red Pegasus is called the Organic Metal Gallery.

4:24 p.m.  
Blogger Katie Shanks said...

Can anybody tell me if they know ANY courses in the city for furniture upholstery? I have been looking forever! HELP!!! I've even approached shops and offerred free help in exchange for some training but they are all too busy!

Kate

11:49 p.m.  
Blogger toronto craft alert said...

fyi guys (in response to a common problem), it is always better to email your question in (torontocraftalert@gmail.com) vs. post it in the comments of an old post where it is unlikely to be seen & sometimes impossible to get in touch with you in response.

to answer your question, katie, evelyn bouma offers upholstery workshops. see this post: http://torontocraftalert.blogspot.com/2007/08/get-schooled.html or her website: http://evelynbouma.com/

hope this helps!

10:42 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home