Tuesday, March 28, 2006

ASK CRAFTY

Introducing a new feature of Toronto Craft Alert: ask crafty.

Here's how it works: Email me a question somehow related to Toronto and craft/DIY, I post it here (and send it out on the mailout), and if all goes well, the readers will answer it for you through the comments or by emailing me. Questions could be something like:

x where do I get buttons/labels made for my crafty company?
x where do I find quality wool felt/hand-dyed yarn/embroidery floss/non-toxic screenprinting ink?
x can you help find me someone with x aesthetic to make me a custom party dress?
x is there a stitch n bitch going down in north york?
x i'd like to by a bike made from recycled parts - where can i find one?

Here's a real live ask crafty question for you to cut your teeth on:

Mishka's pal, a maker of Japanese paper-covered books, is visiting from Nova Scotia and they have plans to visit shops in Toronto for supplies of paper and ribbon. She would love some tips regarding some good suppliers, as well as shops that might be interested in carrying some of her works (pictured here).

I know of The Paper Place (formerly Japanese Paper Place) at 887 Queen West, and the oft-pricey Essence du Papier. Any other advice we can offer Mishka?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a really good idea, I'm sure I will come up with some questions soon, as I'm always wondering where to find things! I'd love to have a list of stores in Toronto that take handmade things on consignment as well....don't know if that's a question, but just an idea!

But I actually have something useful to contribute. I have been going to the Papery on yonge just south of st clair. They have a good selection of envelopes (what I was looking for), stationery, and some paper supplies.

4:55 p.m.  
Blogger toronto craft alert said...

laural, that is a great question and will definitely be part of the next ask crafty column (perhaps a 'sell your stuff links section could be added). i'll try to come up with a few responses myself.

thanks for your papery tip.

9:06 p.m.  
Blogger mishka said...

Thanks Laurel. I think I've been to the Papery on Yonge - and I think they have another location in Yorkville...? Definitely an option.

And I just want to second the "handmade things on consignment" idea. I've been wanting to find places like this for a while and I'd love to try this route for my jewellery.

11:22 a.m.  
Blogger trudi said...

Many thanks for posting this question. The suggestions you have offered are great! I am so looking forward to checking out these shops during my visit to Toronto - I think I might need to bring an empty suitcase to transport all my loot back to NS!

Cheers,

Trudi

2:10 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

greenteapapers.com is an online store based in Toronto that specializes in Japanese papers.A large selection of chiyogami paper is available through this online store. These papers are wonderful for covering books. This is an option if you want to buy papers and you are not conveniently located closed to a specialty paper store.

2:26 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home