Thursday, February 21, 2008

ASK CRAFTY: epoxy resin & accessories, foil embossing sheets, CNE arts and crafts show & metallic textile suppliers

CNE - Midway

Some more tough guys this round of ask crafty. Help a fellow T.O. crafter out by commenting on this post with your advice. Check out the ask crafty archives here.

x I was wondering if you can help me find a source for epoxy resin and accessories (molds, colours etc.). I have been having trouble finding a store or website that is local. - Betty

x where in Toronto can I get copper or brass foil (extra thin) sheets for embossing. I am looking for 2 ft x 2 ft in size. Loomis has small sizes (9" x 12") packaged in a small container, but I need larger size sheets. Michaels Craft store does not carry this itemany more. - cpace

x I know this has been asked before, but with very few responses from anyonewho's actually done it: Has anyone done the CNE arts and crafts building? I've had a few people tell me they've done really well and will do it thisyear again, but I'm not convinced! Any feedback from someone who's done itwould be greatly appreciated. - Ella

x I'm trying to find a reliable wholesale supplier of silver/metallic fabric/textile, which I want to manufacture t-shirts with, and print artwork on them. I'm looking for a supplier of a fabric which looks flashy, is fairly comfortable to wear and upon which the artwork prints can adhere to with reasonable durability. All I seem to run into are run of the mill, flimsy lames, as opposed to a smooth, shiny, stretchy canvas, fairly thick and coated with silver. I've seen such fabrics before and was very impressed, but now that I want it, I can't find it! It seems as if anytime I search Google and whatnot, I just about always get tons of listings for large textile manufacturers overseas, especially China. I'm looking to distribute my wares basically to small independent stores in the GTA. I live near Kensington Market. - Audrey

7 Comments:

Blogger Laural said...

I don't know if there's a difference between epoxy resin and polyester resin, but curry's sells the line of Craft n Cast resin products. They don't have a lot of the accessories but might be able to order them in for you. Michael's also sells the molds and dies and whatnot, although you'll have to go into the burbs to find a Michaels.

10:47 a.m.  
Blogger happyduck1979 said...

Hi there,

I make all my own molds for resin, mostly from dollar store tupperware and olive oil. What are you looking for? Maybe I can help.

11:23 a.m.  
Blogger arounna said...

have you tried solways in the symington and bloor area for the brass and copper foil

5:18 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

For the brass and copper foil I would try Lacy Tools @ 55 Yonge St, Fantacy in Glass (in Etobicke) or Nortel Manufacturing in Scarborough. You kind google all of these and find their web sites. I would call first to see if they have what you are looking for.

8:32 a.m.  
Blogger LARA said...

Yeah, Currys sells the resin - as well as powder dyes and such. You can make molds from polymer clay.
A note on resin - everything I've read about it says it's really toxic. Be sure to have lots of ventilation and consider purchasing a respirator.

6:05 p.m.  
Blogger amcreatures said...

all what you need http://www.sculpturesupply.com/

8:56 p.m.  
Blogger Lucky 7 Steel said...

Has anyone actually found a source in Toronto for Resin molds? I see tons in the US on etsy,etc but can't find anywhere in Toronto that carries them. Sculpture Supply does not. Is there really no where in Toronto (or even online in Canada)?

5:59 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home