Saturday, July 14, 2007

crafty crush: tealish

I’ve decided to start a new feature on the Alert called crafty crush. I am prone to gushing on occasion anyhow, be it about a certain maker, a great shop, or even a particular craft object I covet. But I thought I’d make these outbursts of adoration official (mostly I’m just a sucker for cutesy titles).

tealish 014

I’ve meaning to post about Tealish for a good while now, so I thought I’d kick things off with a little spotlight of my favourite local tea hang. Yeah, I know tea is not officially craft, but Tealish proprietors Michael Rachmel and Laura Chodola blend tea leaves, flowers, nuts & spices in a seriously crafty manner. Plus they carry a very well curated assortment of tea accessories, like screen- printed tea pot cosies, ceramic tea sets (classic and modern), and engraved metal spoons. Mass produced, yes, but the Jonathan Adler iced tea pitcher sets are crazy hot. To boot the décor scheme is based around Japanese paper prints to very stylish effect against a poppy green interior.

tealish 008
tealish 007

But the teas are really what make Tealish worth the detour off of Queen West. Their 130 varieties are available loose (in Blacks, Greens, Rooibos, Herbal & Fruits, and special teas like Whites and Yerba Mates) and made to order in iced teas, lattes, tea smoothies, and straight up. Some of my faves so far include Mixed Berry Anise and Creamy Vanilla (loose), Walnut Ave. Latte, and Iced Coconut Blossom Sencha Latte. I am super psyched to try the premium grade Matcha Genmaicha next time I need to replenish my stash. Ordering sound a bit dauting? The staff are happy to explain what’s up. Plus rumour has it that fall will bring tea-tasting sessions (which may include rare teas not sold in the shop) where you can get the low-down on all things tea.

tealish 010
tealish 018

Seriously, guys, next time you have a free afternoon, I highly advise the following route: Hit Clafouti for a croissant to go, The Paper Place for a dose of visual stimulation, Type Books for some reading material, and round the corner to Tealish for a cup of pure yum to take to the park. You’ll be crushing hard, too.

tealish 028

Tealish
198 Walnut Ave
Unit #2
416.203.3301
http://www.tealish.com

Hours of Operation
Tuesday-Friday 10am - 7pm
Saturday 10am - 7pm
Sunday 12pm - 5pm
Monday CLOSED

4 Comments:

Blogger vania said...

I love the idea of having a 'crafty crush' column!

9:02 p.m.  
Blogger toronto craft alert said...

glad you like, vania. i'm excited for future crush confessions...

10:13 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

any place that makes a chocolate tea that can satisfy my cocoa obsession is a hotspot in my book <3

2:15 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

i love that shop, have been a few times just to look but next time i want to try something....and i love that flower/jewellery shop next door too!
i too love Clayfoti's croissant!

11:54 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home