Thursday, July 26, 2007

crafty crush: atelier woodenapples

My latest crafty crush lives in Montreal. I try not to stray too far from home on the TCA, but who could resist the supreme cuteness of Atelier Woodenapples, a “multi-purpose artist venue offering space to create, showcase and sell handmade DIY goods”.

woodenapples7

This is seriously the shop I would/will open if I ever get my act together. The boutique features a well-curated selection of local, national, and international designers including names well-known inindiecraftland such as The Small Object and Little Otsu. The focus is on accessories but there is some stuff for the home and clothing as well. Crafters who cop the “well, I could make that myself” ‘tude will leave happy with locally-wound yarns, a grab bag of cutie quilt fabrics, or a sweet new crafting smock. I was also thrilled to find a selection of my favourite craft-related zines like
CROQ, KnitKnit & WORN for sale.

teacozynew

IMG_5428
Photo by Caroline Blais of le salon de bonbons

The gallery wall had an amazing show by Elif Saydam, whose anemone-like interpretations of crocheting and lace grace the surfaces of printed textile panels, stones, wood, and a stunning apron (available for sale in the shop). Her free-form crochet pieces are pretty fantastic as well…reminded me somewhat of the Math Crochet the Church of Craft got up to recently. Apparently the wall will hosting rotating exhibits of mostly, but not exclusively, fibre arts – which I can totally get behind being a fibre groupie myself.

woodenapples4

Workshops (some which provide a kit & instructional zine) range from silk-screening to book binding to beginners' crochet. In case any of you happen to be reading from Montreal, or plan to visit in August, I will post the (English) info for August classes below. Even if you can’t make these, I would very much encourage you all to pop by the Mile-End boutique next time you visit Montreal. Hell, why not pop by Montreal to visit Woodenapples?!


[All photos courtesy of Atelier Woodenapples, unless otherwise indicated]

Atelier Woodenapples
Owner: Amy Johnson
Address: 5319 Ave du Parc Montreal
Phone: 514-315-8912
Email: woodenapples[at]hotmail.com


New Workshops at Atelier Woodenapples for August!

Learn to use a sewing machine or embroider... or both!
To sign up call: 514-315-8912 or email woodenapples[AT]hotmail.com


Don't Fear Your Machine- a basic intro to machine sewing
Wednesday August 1st 5pm-7pm
$30 (includes a zine)

Workshop:
1- brief history of machine sewing
2 – understanding the machine and all its parts
3 – threading the bobbin
4 – changing the needle
5 – tension and different stitches
6 – Oops! Undoing mistakes
7 – fabric choices
8 – basic bag design with a french seam (oh lala)


Don’t Fear the Needle: getting started on embroidery
Sunday August 15th
$40(includes a kit and zine)

Workshop outline:
1 – Brief history of embroidery
2 – explaining tools – how to choose them and how to use them
3 - basic stitches
4 – freeform embroidery – just go for it!
5 – working from a pattern
6 – further resources: info on books, stores, artists and website to build your skills.

Everyone leaves with all the supplies they need to keep embroidering at home, as well as a 16-page zine of everything we learned.

They get:
3 starter pieces of fabric
1 embroidery needle
1 hoop
3 colours of embroidery floss
1 pattern to follow
1 photocopied ‘zine.

3 Comments:

Blogger Veronique said...

I'm so glad I found this! I will be visiting this store shortly. It looks lovely and your description of it make me really eager to visit it myself. Thank you :)

10:22 a.m.  
Blogger Claire Louise Milne said...

This is top of my list next time we visit Montreal! Thanks for the great pics.

8:49 p.m.  
Blogger Timewarp said...

i dont live far from there but this is the first i heard of it, will have to check it now that its springtime!

2:45 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home