Wednesday, September 05, 2007

EXHIBITION: tania love at type

I was in Type Books recently and spied a lovely flyer for an upcoming exhibition in their gallery space. The artist, Tania Love, was kind enough to send along some images of her work and an artist statement. Definitely worth checking out...

theheartgrows2-mail
the heart grows
H 30 X W 9 IN
iron water & myroballan on rag paper
Enlarge

I will be exhibiting a collection of my block printing on rag paper and on khadi cotton/silk created while in Gujarat, India at Type books, lower level gallery, 883 Queen St. West (across from Trinity Bellwoods park). The exhibition opens on Thursday, September 6 at 6:30 - 8:30 pm and will continue until October 7.

I choose to work with materials and processes that involve less impact on the environment. While in India I had the opportunity to work with "khadi" (hand woven fibres), natural dyes, hand-made recycled paper and local craftspeople. The work shown [here] is a block print with iron water & myroballan on paper made from recycled textile ends at the Gandhi Ashram. I began by creating a couple of drawings and set off on a journey to Pethapur, a village renown for its master carvers. Dahayalal carved two blocks for me which I then used in combination with traditional blocks at Jayantilal's workshop in Ahmedabad. From him I learned about combining various herbs and minerals to create natural dyes. The work I feel, came together through the skill and creativity of many hands; from those who made the paper and wove the silk, to the block carvers, to the mixing of pigments and helpful directions of the block printer and then to my own creative impulse, eyes, mind and hands.

theheartgrows1-mail
the heart grows
H 30 X W 9 IN
iron water & myroballan on rag paper
Enlarge

In my art work I have always been interested in the gesture of the hand and the traces of memory left behind. The process of block printing is itself a recording of the repetitive gesture of the hand. Using traditional as well as my own blocks I began to think of these objects as a drawing tool and saw a personal language of expression evolve. Circles, lines, and botanical references have been a consistent element in my work. The circle, a mandala, a universal symbol of wholeness, is both a centering and a generative force. Dots and circles remind us of, cells and seeds, things that multiply and things that contain possibility for growth.

I gratefully acknowledge the assistance the Ontario Arts Council for a visual arts grant which enabled me to explore this creative project. I am also very thankful for Skye Morrison's advice setting me in the right direction as well as for the many helpful others on the journey including the students and professors at NID and local craftspeople.

seed-mail
seed
h 28 x w 28 IN
natural pigment on hand woven cotton-silk
Enlarge

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home